Thursday, March 15, 2012

Will Rogers


This is a copy of a well known photograph taken at the hight of Will Rogers' career.

World Citizen Ambassador of Good Will

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

William Penn Adair Rogers (better known as "Will" Rogers) (November 4, 1879 – August 15, 1935) was an American cowboy, comedian, humorist, social commentator, vaudeville performer and actor and one of the best-known celebrities in the 1920s and 1930s.

He traveled around the world three times, made 71 movies (50 silent films and 21 "talkies"), wrote more than 4,000 nationally-syndicated newspaper columns, and became a world-famous figure. By the mid-1930s, Rogers was adored by the American people. He was the leading political wit, and was the top-paid Hollywood movie star at the time.

His earthy anecdotes and folksy style allowed him to poke fun at gangsters, politicians, government programs, and a host of other controversial topics in a way that was readily appreciated by a national audience, with no one offended.

One Rogers quote:
When I die, my epitaph, or whatever you call those signs on gravestones, is going to read: "I joked about every prominent man of my time, but I never met a man I didn't like." I am so proud of that, I can hardly wait to die so it can be carved.

Rogers died in 1935 with aviator Wiley Post, when their small airplane crashed near Barrow, Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment